Vacation and summer child care programs typically provide a variety of activities, such as arts and crafts, swimming, drama, and organized sports. These programs are usually for school-age children, although in some areas they are also available for preschool-age children.

About This Type of Care

Vacation or summer programs are often operated by the local parks and recreation departments, community organizations, and Child Care Centers. A Family Child Care provider may also be able to care for your school-age child during vacations if the program’s regulated capacity allows for additional children.

Vacation and summer child care programs may or may not be required to be licensed, registered or certified depending on the state that you live in. Your local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agency can help you determine if your provider is required to be regulated and if so, what regulations must be met. Find your local CCR&R with a zip code search on our CCR&R Search page.

Regulation does not ensure child care quality; however, it does set minimum health and safety standards and ensures that programs are regularly monitored for compliance with the regulations. Visit our page on child care licensing for more information.

If you are looking for a residential camp experience for an older child, some camps are accredited by the American Camp Association. You can find additional assistance about selecting a camp program and learn about Camp Accreditation here.